果茶小说网 > 名著电子书 > 牛津实用英语语法 >

第76章

牛津实用英语语法-第76章

小说: 牛津实用英语语法 字数: 每页3500字

按键盘上方向键 ← 或 → 可快速上下翻页,按键盘上的 Enter 键可回到本书目录页,按键盘上方向键 ↑ 可回到本页顶部!
————未阅读完?加入书签已便下次继续阅读!



起初冒出来了各式各样的困难,耽搁了我们。后来我们学会了如何为这些困难预作准备。
cut
cut down a tree 砍倒树木:
If you cut down all the trees you will ruin the land.(cut the trees down/ cut them down)
你要是砍倒所有的树木,就会把土地给毁了。
cut down(tr) 减少数量:
We must cut down expenses or we’ll be getting into debt.
我们得减少支出,否则就要负债了。
‘This article is too long,’said the editor.‘Could you cut it down to2,000 words?’
“这篇文章太长了,”编辑说,“你能不能把它缩到两千字?”
cut in(intr)在车距极近的不安全情况下并行抢道并插到另一辆车前面:
Accidents are often caused by drivers cutting in.
车祸常由司机抢道插到别的车前面而引起。
cut off(tr)切断、停止供应(宾语可以是水、电、煤气,也可以是被停供的人):
The pany has cut off our electricity supply because we haven’t paidour bill.(cut our supply off/cut it off)
因为我们没有付电费,公司断了我们的电。
They’ve cut off the water/our water supply temporarily because they arerepairing one of the main pipes.
他们暂时断了我们的水源,因为在修其中的一条主要的水管。
We were cut off in the middle of our(telephone)conversation.
我们(电)话还没完,就被掐断了。(这可能是偶然的事,也可能是电话接线员故意的行为。)
cut someone off 阻挡某人使其不能逃到安全地带(常用于指潮水围困,特别是用被动态时):
We were cut off by the tide and had to be rescued by boat.
我们被潮水困住了,只好由小船搭救出来。
be cut off(intr)被隔绝在不方便的地方(主语常是某一地方或住在某一地方的人):
You will be pletely cut off if you go to live in that village becausethere is a bus only once a week.
你要是去住在那个村里,就会与世隔绝了,因为那里每周只有一班公共汽车。
cut out(tr)
(a)从布、纸等上弄下所需形状:
When I am making a dress I mark the cloth with chalk and then cut itout.(cut out the dress/cut the dress out)
我缝衣服时先用白粉在布上画出样子,然后再剪下。
Young people often cut out photographs of their favourite pop stars andstick them to the walls.
年轻人常把最喜欢的流行歌手的相片剪下来贴在墙上。
(b)略去,排除,不再继续:
If you want to get thin you must cut out sugar.(cut it out)
你要是想瘦点,就得不吃糖。
be cut out for(tr)特别适合于……(用于指人,又常用于否定句中):
His father got him a job in a bank but it soon became clear that he wasnot cut out for that kind of work.
他爸爸给他在银行里找了一个工作,但是不久就可以清楚地看出来,他不适合干那种工作。
cut up(tr) 切、割、剪成碎片:
They cut down the tree and cut it up for firewood.(cut the tree up/cut up the tree)
他们把树砍倒并劈碎当柴火了。
die
die away(intr)(声音)逐渐微弱直到听不到:
They waited till the sound of the guard’s footsteps died away.
他们一直等到警卫的脚步声消逝了。
die down(intr)逐渐平静下来,直至平息(常指骚乱、火、心情的一阵波动等):
When the excitement had died down the shopkeepers took down theirshutters and reopened their shops.
波动平息后,店主们取下了窗板,重新开店营业。
die out(intr)绝灭,成为过去(常指风俗、种族、动物品种等):
Elephants would die out if men could shoot as many as they wished.
如果人们爱猎杀多少大象就可以猎杀多少,大象就会灭种了。
do
do away with(tr)废除:
The government should do away with the regulations restricting drinkinghours.
政府应该废除限制卖酒的时间的规章。
do up(tr)重新装饰:
When I do this room up I’ll paint the walls cream.(do up this room/doit up)
我重新装修房间时,要把墙漆成奶油色。
do without(tr)不要……而凑合过,免去……也可以:
We had to do without petrol during the fuel crisis.
在燃料危机期间,我们不得不过没有汽油的日子。
有时宾语可以意会,不说出来:
If there isn’t any milk we’ll have to do without(it).
如果没有牛奶,我们只好将就了。
draw
draw back(intr)撤退,(因惊惧而)向后闪:
It’s too late to draw back now;the plans are all made.
现在再后退也太晚了;计划都订好了。
draw up(tr)草拟,写出(计划或协议书):
My solicitor drew up the lease and we both signed it.(drew it up)
我的律师拟好了租约,我们两个人都签了名。
draw up(intr)停下(指车辆等):
The car drew up at the kerb and the driver got out.
车在马路边停下,开车人下了车。
drop
drop in(intr)未经通知而造访并停留较短的时间:
He dropped in for a few minutes to ask if he could borrow your powerdrill.
他不告而来,坐了几分钟,问是否能借用你的电钻。(比call in更口语化些。)
drop out(intr)退出(某计划或行动):
We planned to hire a coach for the excursion but now so many peoplehave dropped out that it will not be needed.
我们原计划租一辆大客车去郊游,但是现在已有这么多人退出,车就不需要了。
enter
enter for(tr)报名参加(竞赛、考试等):
Twelve thousand petitors have entered for the next LondonMarathon.
已有12,000人报名参加下一次伦敦马拉松比赛。
fade
fade away(intr) 消失,逐渐减弱(常指声音):
The band moved on and the music faded away.
乐队继续行进,乐声逐渐听不见了。
fall
fall back(intr)后退,撤退(指有意识的行动,与fall behind不同,后者是不由自主的):
As the enemy advanced we fell back.
敌人向前推进,我们就后退了。
fall back on(tr) 退而求其次地使用某物:
We had to fall back on dried milk as fresh milk wasn’t available.
因为找不到鲜奶,我们不得已使用了奶粉。
He fell back on the old argument that if you educate women they won’tbe such good wives and mothers.
他重弹老调,说如果给妇女受教育的机会,她们就不会是这样的贤妻良母了。
fall behind(intr)(因不能赶上别人而)落后,不能按协议的时间分期支付:
At the beginning the whole party kept together but by the end of the daythose who were less fit had fallen behind.
起初全体人员都在一起,但到了晚间身体不够强壮的人就落后了。
He fell behind with his rent and the landlord began to bee impatient.
他不能按期交房租,房东不耐烦了。
fall in with someone’s plans 接受别人的计划并同意与之合作:
We’d better fall in with his suggestion for the sake of peace.
为了息事宁人,我们还是接受他的建议为好。
fall in(intr)of troops etc.列队,整队(指军队等)
fall off(intr)(数目、观众等)减少,下降:
Orders have been falling off lately;we need a new advertising campaign.
近来订货量下降了;我们需要再搞一次广告宣传运动。
If the price of seats goes up much more theatre attendances will begin tofall off.
如果票价大幅度上扬,观众人数就会下降了。
fall on(tr) 凶猛地袭击,扑上来(受害者没有自卫的机会,因为袭击者太有力;有时也用于描述饥饿的人急于吃食物):
The mob fell on the killers and clubbed them to death.
乱民凶猛地攻击杀人者,把他们乱棍打死了。
The starving men fell on the food.
饥饿的人们狼吞虎咽地吃了起来。
fall out(intr)争吵:
When thieves fall out honest men get their own.
窃贼争吵,好人受益。(格言;意指失主能得回他们的财产)
fall out(intr)of troops etc.解散(队伍):
The troops fell in and were inspected.After the parade they fell out and went back to their barracks.
队伍列队并接受了检阅。游行完毕后他们解散回营房了。
fall through(intr)(计划)未能实现,化为泡影:
My plans to go to Greece fell through because the journey turned out to bemuch more expensive than I had expected.
我上希腊去的计划未能实现,因为我发现旅行远比我预期的要昂贵。
feed
be fed up(intr),be fed up with(tr)完全厌倦,十分腻烦(俚语):
I’m fed up with this wet weather.
我对这潮呼呼的天气腻烦极了。
I’m fed up with waiting;I’m going home.
我等得不耐烦了;我要回家了。
feel
feel up to(tr) 感到有体力(能做某事):
I don’t feel up to tidying the kitchen now.I’ll do it in the morning.
我现在没劲儿打扫厨房。我早上干吧。
I don’t feel up to it.
我觉得没有力气做这件事。
fill
fill in/up 爁orms etc.填写表格:
I had to fill in three forms to get my new passport.(fill three forms in/fill them in)
为了领新护照,我不得不填写三张表格。
find
find out(tr)通过有意识的努力而弄清或发现:
In the end I found out what was wrong with my hi-fi.
我终于搞清楚我的高保真音响出了什么毛病。
The dog found out the way to open the door.(found it out)
那狗搞清楚怎么开门了。
find someone out 发现某人在干坏事(这常是一种意外的发现,因为某人一直是受信任的):
After robbing the till for months the cashier was found out.
那出纳员从钱柜里偷钱偷了好几个月后才被发现。
fix
fix up(tr)安排:
The club has already fixed up several matches for next season.(fixed sev…eral matches up/fixed them up)
俱乐部已经为下一个赛季安排了几场比赛。
get
get about(intr) 流转,运动或行动:
The news got about that he had won the first prize in the state lottery andeverybody began asking him for money.
他买国家奖券得了头奖的消息不胫而走,大家都开始向他要钱。
He is a semi…invalid now and can’t get about as well as he used to.
他现在是个半残废了,不能像过去那样自在地行动。
get away(intr) 逃掉,脱身:
Don’t ask him how he is because if he starts talking about his healthyou’ll never get away from him.
不要去问他身体好不好,因为他要是一谈起他的身体状况,你就会脱身乏术的。
I had a lot to do in the office and didn’t get away till eight.
我在办公室里事很多,到8点钟才得以脱身。
get away with(tr)做非法或错误的事后逃脱了惩罚,不被人抓住或发觉:
He began forging cheques and at first he got away with it but in the endhe was caught and sent to prison.
他开始干伪造支票的事,起初他蒙混过去了,但最终被抓住并送进了监狱。
get back(tr) 收回:
If you lend him a book he’ll lend it to someone else and you’ll never getit back.(get back your book/get your book back)
如果你借给他一本书,他就会转借给别

返回目录 上一页 下一页 回到顶部 0 0

你可能喜欢的